Turf Manager - IPM Specialist
Turf Manager and Integrated Pest Management Specialist – Full time
Hedge Garden Care is a family-owned company that specializes in design, installation and horticultural care for high-end gardens in the Washington DC metropolitan area.
The ideal candidate will be required to supervise and work with a crew of 2 or more gardeners in implementing Integrated Pest Management techniques such as pest and disease identification and treatment for plants and turf. Additionally, this position will supervise turf maintenance and renovation tasks such as weed management, seeding, aerating. This supervision and work will be both in verbal instruction to gardeners as well as hands-on participation in the tasks at hand. Under direct supervision of the Head Gardener, the Gardener/Crew Leader will coordinate care for 40+ gardens which includes understanding the plant palette installed, the microclimates for each garden, monitoring and adjustment of irrigation systems. This position will also act as a member of the gardening and garden install team as needed.
• Possess a valid US Driver’s License and a clean driving record.
• Have the ability to legally work in the United States.
• Have reliable transportation to our shop in Silver Spring, MD
• Have or be willing to pursue a Maryland Pesticide Applicator’s License.
• 3-5 Years practical experience performing Integrated Pest Management and/or turf management in residential gardens, botanical gardens.
• Working knowledge of and ability to identify woody plants (trees and shrubs), perennials, ornamental and native grasses that are used in the Mid-Atlantic region.
• Ability to safely operate and supervise the operation of heavy machinery such as: tillers, walk-behind mowers, bob-cats, 1200 GVW trucks, chain saws, line trimmers, and backpack blowers.
• Ability to lift 50 lbs.
• Ability to speak Spanish or to learn Spanish quickly.
• Ability to speak English fluently.
• Ability and willingness to work in inclement weather including high heat and humidity typical of Mid-Atlantic summers, rain, snow, and ice.
• Ability to effectively communicate with clients to report on the progress of work in their gardens and to consult with them when improvements are requested.
• Ability to identify horticultural problems in a garden and, under supervision of the Head Gardener, effectively provide solutions and remediation efforts to solve such problems.
• Ability and willingness to consult with Landscape Architects and other designers to coordinate maintenance and requested improvements to a client’s garden.
• Ability to project manage and assist in management tasks such as billing, additional work proposals, and preparation of yearly contracts.
• Ability to supervise a team of 2 or more employees by effectively managing their time and by communicating all personnel related matters to the Head Gardener.
Salary and Benefits:
• $40k - $60K depending on experience
• Use of company vehicle during business hours and for work-related trips
• Paid Holidays, vacation, and sick time
• Paid tuition expenses for Pesticide Applicator’s license renewal.
Please send a resume and cover letter to:
Lucia Hall – Hedge Garden Care email@example.com