Gardener – Full time
Hedge Garden Care is a family-owned company that specializes in design, installation and horticultural care for high-end gardens in the Washington DC metropolitan area.
The ideal candidate will have at least one year of experience working in the landscape industry in a hands-on manner to build and care for gardens. This position requires the performing garden maintenance tasks such as pruning, weeding, pest identification and maintenance, lawn care and mowing, mulch application, small garden installation, small water feature maintenance, irrigation monitoring, and other tasks related to fine residential estates and gardens. Under direct supervision of the Head Gardener, the Gardener will provide care for 30+ gardens which includes understanding the plant palette installed, the micro-climates for each garden, and the specific requirements for each client. The job requires direct interface with clients and/or Landscape Architects to assess the clients’ needs and to keep them up to date on any work that is proceeding in their garden.
• Possess a valid US Driver’s License and a clean driving record.
• Ability to legally work in the United States.
• Have reliable transportation to our shop in Silver Spring, MD.
• 1-3 Years practical experience performing horticultural care in residential gardens or botanical gardens.
• Working knowledge of and ability to identify woody plants (trees and shrubs), perennials, ornamental and native grasses that are used in the Mid-Atlantic region.
• Experience working with Integrated Pest Management techniques
• Understanding of basic turf management practices.
• Ability to safely operate and supervise the operation of heavy machinery such as: tillers, walk-behind mowers, bob-cats, 1200 GVW trucks, chain saws, line trimmers, and backpack blowers.
• Ability to lift 50 lbs.
• Ability to speak Spanish or to learn Spanish quickly.
• Ability to speak English fluently.
• Ability and willingness to work in inclement weather including high heat and humidity typical of Mid-Atlantic summers, rain, snow, and ice.
• Ability to identify horticultural problems in a garden and, under supervision of the Head Gardener, effectively provide solutions and remediation efforts to solve such problems.
• Familiarity with and ability to implement planting techniques associated with trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals.
Salary and Benefits:
• Salary commensurate with experience
• Paid Holidays, vacation, and sick time
Please send a resume and cover letter to:
Lucia Hall – Hedge Garden Care